…and MORE fabric to make MORE garb

This (photo above) is what I’m sewing right now.

According to my husband, his SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) persona is quite a “clothes horse.” AND he likes red, although my husband doesn’t care for it most of the time. (I can relate, I don’t like orange AT ALL, but “Gwenllian” LOVES saffron orange.)

So let me tell you a story about how THIS project happened: I was looking for fabric to use as contrast around the neckline and sleeves on a Norman gown, and my husband suggested silk, so I IMMEDIATELY went online to see if Silk Baron (OMG, all the colors!) had something that would go with the deep coral pink I’d chosen for this gown, and I did find dupioni that matches EXACTLY… and then my husband saw some deep red shantung (sold as dupioni but it’s virtually slub-free, so it’s more like shantung, IMO) that he just HAD to have for a new coat…

That’s what I’m working on right now – basically a “Herjolfnes coat” like the THREE he has already (one in black that I made last autumn plus two emerald green ones, one for warm weather and one for winter) that he’ll wear layered under a short-sleeved coat made of silvery-taupe velvet. Very Eastern European. I think I’ll make him a hat to go with this outfit – maybe the dark red velvet left over from that cotehardie.

I lined the silk with plain cotton broadcloth (also red) that was basted to it around the edges so it’s like the two fabrics were one layer when I sewed the seams. Now I’m about halfway through finishing the seam allowances on the inside to make it all tidy. (I obsess about tidy seam finishes and hems that are invisible from the outside. Always have, always will.) Once that’s done, I’ll be ready to sew the buttonholes by hand. I have a sewing machine that makes nice buttonholes, but not for THIS garment – I didn’t spend $80 on garb fabric just so I could have modern matching stitching on the outside. Besides, this is a way I can “show off” my needlework skills. (It’s just buttonholes, no big deal, but I guess some people think it IS a big deal to sew by hand at all.)

I am also sort of working on a new tunic for my husband to wear with his armor – he finally wore out the old one, and this time I’m making it with specially shaped sleeve gussets so it won’t rip under the arms. (The “secret” is to make the sleeve gussets LONG, NARROW DIAMONDS instead of squares like most diagrams show. The long narrow shape allows for more movement of the arm without straining the seams.) All that’s left on that is to sew the bottom edge with “arrowhead” shaped dagging. This tunic is light gold cotton sateen. (I couldn’t find sateen ANYWHERE in a gold color, so I just bought a sateen sheet and dyed it.)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s